Wednesday 11 August 2010

Why conserve water?

An article i wrote for a contest. Menang No.2. Ok la tu..

I have always been fascinated by the natural world. I even have a nickname, ‘Maya Ijau’, which means green-Maya. The excitement of learning and experimenting new thing always gives me a jolt and I’m enjoying it. With respect to the environment, me my family choose to recycle. We try our best to manage our waste of the day by separating it by its type. In relation to water conservation, it made me think. Have I done anything to conserve our precious water? So I did some internet surfing just to see what can be done. These are some of the things I have been practicing without knowing it actually helps to conserve water.

I usually turn off water while washing my hair and brushing my teeth. When using the toilet, I drop the tissues in the trash instead of flushing it and save water every time. I also shorten my shower most of the time and I prefer to use the shower as bath tub requires more water. Then just now I got new tip that said I can do more by keeping a bucket in the shower to catch water as it warms up or runs. Use this water to flush toilets or water plants.

Cleaning is one of our unavoidable daily chores. When doing laundry, I usually match the water level to the size of the load and run my clothes washer only when they are full. One thing I notice is there were too cups, glasses to be washed everyday especially when all of my family members were at home. So, the next time they come I will ask everyone to designate one glass for drinking water or get themselves refillable water bottle. This will cut down on the number of glasses to wash. I also hope that I will be more active to collect the water used for rinsing fruits and vegetables then reuse it to water houseplants.

Living in the tropical region, most of the time we enjoy cold drinks. The next tips I’m going to apply for cold drinks are to keep pitchers of water in the refrigerator instead of running the tap. This way, every drop goes down to me and not the drain. During my day out and when I have ice left in my cup from a take-out restaurant, I will not throw it in the trash; instead I will dump it on a plant. This is so easy.

The next tip is very vital for the public. It is important for everybody to responsible to report any broken pipes, open hydrants and errant sprinklers to the property owner or the water provider. This will help to save water and most importantly it saves public money.

I’m sure that everybody has done something that contributes to water conservation but most of us are not aware of that. The activities will remain the same, but when we put a value to it, as for this reason it will for water conservation, we will appreciate it more and we will definitely gain self-satisfaction, that’s for sure. So the next thing I would do is to share water conservation tips with my friends, family, neighbors and all fellow bloggers out there. It is tedious work but hopefully our small daily contribution will help to save our precious water and Mother Nature.

No comments: